These may not have been the perfect muffin, but they sure were good. Very nice lemon flavour – and the poppyseeds added a nice touch. Lemon poppyseed loaves are my favourite treat at Starbucks when I splurge on more than just the already-splurgy-$4-latte, so I had a feeling I’d enjoy this homemade version.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, from recipezaar.com:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt *
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla*
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Beat well after each.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.
- Beat just until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4-full.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.
* Our only variation: we left out the vanilla and used homemade vanilla yogurt.