I love it when we find a recipe during Passover that would work any time of the year. This is one of those finds! Recipe courtesy of Passover by Design:
(spices can obviously vary a lot depending on your tastes/what you have on hand… but we followed it to a T and it was lovely)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 cup butter (I would recommend MUCH less – seriously, 1/4 cup would be plenty)
- 4 x tilapia filets (approx 6 oz each)
- sour cream
- Grease and heat a skillet to medium high.
- Mix all the spices on a plate.
- Melt butter and put on a second plate.
- Dredge each filet through the butter, then coat with spices.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until blackened. Pour 1 tbsp butter on each filet (or, ya know, less than that), and turn over. Pour more butter on that side, and cook for 3-5 minutes, until blackened on both sides.
Serve with a nice dollop of sour cream on each filet.
It recommends grilled tomatoes seasoned with oregano as a side. Sure, if you want. But it’s not necessary.
We had it with garlic mushrooms and the grilled tomato. Yum!