While we were at St. Lawrence Market on our anniversary, we decided to pick up a bunch of beef, chicken and fish kebabs for our Thursday barbecue. Since we were home for the day, we decided to make a few other things as well, including this delicious loaf of bread from The Bread Lover’s Bread Machine Cookbook.
Although the recipe involved making the whole thing in the bread machine, we decided to take it out and bake it in the oven. The resulting loaf was one of the best we’ve ever made, so we decided it was worth sharing the recipe:
- Place the ingredients, except the pine nuts, in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer’s instructions. Set crust on medium and program for the Basic or French Bread cycle; press start.
- Five minutes into Knead 2, sprinkle in the pine nuts.
- If you decide you want to do what we did and bake it in the oven, take it out after the final knead cycle and let rise on a lightly floured surface in a warm place.
For 1 1/2 lb loaf:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon gluten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons SAF yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped
For 2-pound loaf:
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 2/3 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon gluten
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons SAF yeast or 1 tablespoon bread machine yeast
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped