The other day when I made the stuffed butternut squash, I decided it was a good time to make a nice dessert too. I scoured our fridge and googled ideas based on what we had: Some pomegranates, apples, and a lot of butter. I came up with Brenda’s Apple & Pomegranate Crisp. It not only served as a yummy dessert for a few nights, but Adam even took it as breakfast on Friday.
I didn’t quite follow the recipe, but used it as inspiration since we didn’t have enough apples and had two pomegranates I wanted to use. So this is what I came up with:
Apple & Pomegranate Crisp:
- 2 smallish apples – peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 small pomegranates (best way to get the skin/white membrane off is to submerge in water… the seeds float the bottom and you keep yourself clean!)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Combine apple slices, pomegranate, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until coated, and then put in a pie plate.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, and melted butter until it’s clumpy. Spread out on top of the apple mixture fairly evenly.
- Bake at 375˚F for about 45 minutes, until crust is browned and inside is bubbly.
Enjoy! (Preferably with ice cream… mmmm)