Same meal as the Butternut Squash Frittata, but I felt it deserved it’s own post. Very, very simple salad but full of flavour and no oil whatsoever, so definitely deserves it’s own post, right? Right. This recipe is courtesy of a brand new cookbook we just received from my new Armenian sister-in-law: Simply Armenian, which includes lots of recipes we hope to try soon.
- 3 medium beets, stems removed
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Boil the beets until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Peel beets once cooled, and shred. Stir walnuts into shredded beets.
- Mash garlic and salt into a paste with a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, and mix in vinegar. Add to beets, and toss to coat.
The cookbook suggested serving over a bed of lettuce – but I don’t think it’s necessary – quite tasty on it’s own!