Can someone tell me why we didn’t buy Joy of Cooking before recently? It’s so chock full of great cooking tips, information on any and everything cooking related, and most importantly, awesome recipes.
This afternoon, we made our breakfast for the week, Apple Walnut Muffins. We couldn’t wait until tomorrow to try one, so we split one this evening. Oh my yum. We may have a tie for the perfect muffin.
The recipe (courtesy of Joy of Cooking):
Makes 12 muffins
(Or, if you’re like us and want big overflowing-the-pan muffins, it makes 8.)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups packed peeled, cored, and grated apples with their juice (about 2 medium)
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°, and grease a standard muffin tin.
- Whisk together the eggs with sugar. Add the apple and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Mix the apple mixture with the butter and walnuts.
- Carefully stir in the flour mixture – be careful to not over mix, or the muffins will be tough.
- Distribute into muffin tin, and bake for 14-16 minutes (or a few minutes longer if you do the big muffins, like I did. I think it took about 20 minutes total). Check for doneness with a toothpick, and let cool on a wire rack.