A recipe from my dad – – he made this at our family Chrismas last year, and we immediately asked for the recipe. It freezes well, so we’ve made it in double or triple batches. Need to get a photo next time we make it, but wanted to put it up here so we don’t have to search through emails every time we want to make it!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 lb Bulk Pork Sausage
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 12 oz Tomato Paste
- 2 pieces Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 3 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Minced parsley
- 24 oz Small curd cottage cheese
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 pieces Lasagna noodles cooked and drained (or buy the ready-to-bake kind, like we always do)
- 6 pieces Slices provolone cheese
- 3 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink: drain.
- add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, seasonings, salt-and-pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for one hour stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl combine the eggs and the parsley. Stir in the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan cheese
- Spread 1 cup meat sauce in ungreased 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Layer with three noodles, provolone cheese, 2 cups cottage, 1 cup mozzarella, three noodles, 2 cups meat sauce, remaining cheese mixture and one cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining noodles meat sauce and mozzarella.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.